孔子学院总部（以下简称“总部”）设在北京，具有法人地位。境外设立其分支机构孔子学院（以下简称“学院”），中文名称为“XX孔子学院”（XX为学院所在城市名称），英文名称为“Confucius Institute in XX”。其他外文名称翻译参照英语翻译。
Introduction to the “ConfuciusInstitute” Project
Aimed atpromoting friendly relationship with other countries and enhancing theunderstanding of the Chinese language and culture among world Chinese learnersas well as providing good learning conditions for them, the National Office forTeaching Chinese as a Foreign Language is to set up “Confucius Institute” inthe world, whose major activities includes Chinese teaching in countries thathave the needs and conditions. At the same time, the “Confucius InstituteHeadquarter” will be established in Beijing.
The English name of this institute is “ConfuciusInstitute”. Confucius is a famous thinker, educator and philosopher in Chinesehistory. His doctrine has a very important influence throughout the world. Toname this institute after him shows the longevity and profundity of Chineselanguage and culture. It also embodies the development trend of the integrationof Chinese language and culture into the world in the new century.
The “Confucius Institute Headquarter” is to be establishedin Beijing and enjoys an independent legal person status. Its branches, the“Confucius Institute ” will be set up abroad, with a Chinese name “XX孔子学院”（XX is the name of city where the institute is located andan English name “Confucius Institute in XX”. Names in other languages will betranslated from English.
“Confucius Institute” is a non-profit public institutewith a mission of promoting Chinese language and culture and supporting localChinese teaching. It abides by the local law and regulations and is subject tosupervision and inspections from the local educational administrativeauthorities.
Ⅲ. Business Line
The business lines of “Confucius Institute” are Chineselanguage teaching and promotion with a local flavor. Generally speaking, it includesthe following:
1. multimedia and web-based Chinese teaching;
2. professional training for university, secondary andelementary school Chinese teachers;
3. HSK tests and examination for certificate of TeachingChinese as a Foreign Language;
4. all types of Chinese programs (corporate program,preparation course for study in China, pre-examination training for HSK andother Chinese tests) and course of Chinese for special purposes (translation,tourism, business, finance or Traditional Chinese Medicine);
5. Chinese degree courses integrated with those in Chineseuniversities and institutes;
6. helping formulate Chinese teaching curriculum orteaching plan;
7. promoting Chinese teaching materials and recommendingChinese teachers;
8. co-developing practical Chinese teaching materialstailored for local regions;
9. academic activities and Chinese competition;
10. showcasing Chinese movies and TV programs;
11. consulting service about study in China
12. library service for reference
Ⅳ. Type of Institution
“Confucius Institute” is a non-profit public organization,usually with an independent legal person status. The locality of “ConfuciusInstitute” should be a rather busy business district where there’s a large flowof people and a very convenient transportation system. The Headquarter providesteaching pattern and curriculum products as the main teaching resources for allthe branches. Each branch will follow in their teaching and evaluation work aunified set of quality certification system and standard for teaching, testingand training. The “Confucius Institute” mainly offers training of Chinese forspecial purposes for the public and professional training for Chinese teachers.All these trainings fall into the category of non-degree education. Theteaching focus of the “Confucius Institute” is applied Chinese.
“Confucius Institute Headquarter” also cooperates withuniversities in setting up on-campus Chinese centers to support degree programslike Chinese language major and Chinese as a public course as well as researchcenters to fuel research work in the field of China studies. Based on certainneeds and conditions, these Chinese centers can also undertake teaching andpromotion activities outside the university. In such case, these on-campusChinese centers, China studies centers or Confucius Institutes set up incooperation with universities do not necessarily have to take an independentlegal person status.
Ⅴ. Founding Pattern
“Confucius Institute” can be built with direct investmentfrom the Headquarter, partnership between the Headquarter and a localinstitute, or franchise authorized by the Headquarter. Currently the “ConfuciusInstitute” will be built mainly through partnering with foreign institutes. Thepartnership mode is subject to discussion between the Headquarter and itspartners from abroad.
Ⅵ. Eligibility requirement for partners
Higher learning institutes and other organizations with apurpose of promoting Chinese teaching and cultural exchange can offer toestablish partnership with the headquarter (NOCFL) in jointly setting up the“Confucius Institute ”. However, in principle, potential partners should meetthe following prerequisites:
1. Accept operational guidance from the Headquarter andfollow relevant teaching standard.
2. Have experiences in language teaching or educationaland cultural exchanges
3. Familiar with the development of Chinese teaching inthe country and region
4. Have an independent legal person qualification
5. Enjoy strong economic and managing abilities, canprovide input in real estate, finance and resources for establishing the“Confucius Institute”.
Ⅶ. What the Headquarter Can Offer
The Headquarter offers part or all of the following inlight of the actual needs:
1. authorized use of the title of “Confucius Institute ”;
2. universal logo and emblem used by “Confucius Institute”worldwide;
3. teaching mode and curriculum planning;
4. user right to the “Great Wall Chinese” multimediacourseware, Chinese course books, supplementary materials, audio and videomaterials and web-based courses authorized by the Headquarter;
5. training on the operational and teaching patterns ofthe institute;
6. unified image package, publicity and promotion plan;
7. guidance to the operational management and developmentplanning;
8. facilitation for timely communication of informationabout global Chinese language teaching;
9. a certain number of instructors teaching in theinstitute;
10. a certain number of books to help build a Chineselibrary;
11. a certain amount of financial support for organizingChinese teaching and promotion activities.
Ⅷ. Organization and Management
The president of “Confucius Institute” works under theleadership of the Board of Trustees and is responsible for institute affairs.The Board of Trustees comprises of trustees from the Headquarter and itspartner. The president and vice-president are selected through agreementreached by both partners.
1. Board of Trustees
Board of Trustees consists of one chair, several vice-chairs and trustees.Chair and vice-chairs are elected by the Board.
The president is nominated by chair of the Board and elected and appointed bythe Board. The president needs to sign with the Chair (representing the Board)on a regular basis a contract clearly defining the president’s mission andgoals, working period, responsibilities, rewards & punishments and standardof performance assessment.
3. The two partners will discuss on how to co-managefinancial, teaching and personnel affairs.
Ⅸ. Founding Process
The founding process is as follows:
The foreign partner submits to the Headquarter a proposal and related materials→the Headquarter evaluates its qualification andconditions→the two partners exchange field tripsand conduct negotiations→a cooperative agreementsigned→Board of trustees set up→President and directors of different departments selected→official opening of the Institute.
The prospective partners need to submit the followingmaterials:
Letter of Proposal，cooperative agreement (draft),analytical report of the history, current status and future prospects of localChinese teaching and qualification certificate (legal person certificate orregistration certificate).
Ⅹ. Quality Certification
In order to ensure the special feature and teachingquality of the “Confucius Institute”, the Headquarter will regularly assess theinstitutes and conduct quality certification.
Content of quality certification includes: overall scale, performance,operational administration, teaching quality and special features, annualworking report, development plan.
Ⅺ. Contact us
The “Confucius Institute” project is to be implemented bythe “Confucius Institute Headquarter”. At the moment, The National Office forTeaching Chinese as a Foreign Language is responsible for this project. Wewelcome higher learning institutes and also organizations with a purpose ofpromoting Chinese teaching and cultural exchange to contact us for partnershipin building the “Confucius Institute”.